Implementing Practical Genetics for the Commercial Dairy
Every Wednesday from Feb 16 until March 16, 2022.
This webinar series will be presented entirely by Dr. Heather Huson, Faculty, Dept. of Animal Science, Cornell University.
Based on Dr. Huson's Applied Genetics course this program will give participants an understanding of how to use genetic information to reach their herd goals. An optional in person session will provide an opportunity for hands on practice with genetic analysis tools.
Implementing Practical Genetics for Commercial Dairy Flyer (PDF; 157KB)
February 16, 2022
February 23, 2022
March 2, 2022
March 9, 2022
March 16, 2022
March 30, 2022
12:00pm - 12:45pm ET
Virtual with an opportunity for in-person meeting on 3/30/22.
: : $50.00
Reduced cost thanks to the generous support of our industry sponsors
PRO-DAIRY and Cornell Cooperative Extension
Feb 16, 2022 | 12:00pm to 1:00pm ET
- Overview of Genetic Evaluations
- Including individual traits, targeted indexes, total performance indexes.
- Overview of how to obtain genetic evaluations for your herd and what is included in the results.
February 23, 2022 | 12:00-12:45pm ET
- Inbreeding and Crossbreeding
- Discussion on how to manage inbreeding, the effects of inbreeding depression, and how crossbreeding can be utilized.
March 2, 2022 | 12:00-12:45pm ET
- Management and Decision Making
- Overview of how genetic evaluation results can be used in management decisions.
March 9, 2022 | 12:00-12:45pm ET
- Marketing and Industry Impact
- How genetic evaluations are used in marketing, including details you should ask, and ways to select and market your own animals.
March 16, 2022 | 12:00-12:45pm ET *Must attend this session to participate in the in-person workshop*
- Data Review
- Examining genetic evaluation data, creating personalized indexes, and how to use this in management strategies.
- Must attend this session to participate in the in-person workshop
In Person Workshop on March 30, 2022
Opportunity to work with real data in basic excel sheets and in different industry software packages.
Choose between the following two choices:
Morrison Hall Cornell University | 10-2pm-lunch provided
SUNY ATTAIN Lab in Perry NY-TBD
10-noon-presentations, Noon-1-lunch-sponsor interaction, 1-2pm-presentations
This program is available at a reduced cost of $50 thanks to the generous support of our industry sponsors.
THANK YOU SPONSORS!
Dairy Herd Management Services
Farm Credit East
Keseca Veterinary Clinic
Perry Vet Clinic
Webinar-Challenges and Opportunities of Managing Transition Cows on AMS
June 1, 2023
Please join MSU Extension and Cornell Cooperative Extension Regional Teams for our talk with Pete Maslyn of Hemdale Dairy and Todd Ward of Direct Dairy Nutrition Services on managing transition cows on automated milking systems (AMS).
2023 Dairy Nutrition & Management Shortcourse
June 5 - June 9, 2023
This course is designed primarily for early career nutritionists and allied industry professionals seeking a more comprehensive foundation in the principles of dairy cattle nutrition and their application within dairy herd management.
Agritourism Workshops Monthly! - Agritourism Pricing Workshop
June 20, 2023
Are you thinking of starting an agritourism business or are you currently operating one?
Join our monthly lunch-hour, workshop virtual series and learn how to grow your agritourism business!
Each session will focus on specific topic to help aspiring agritourism entrepreneurs grow their knowledge and profit through this exciting on-farm business.
Cost: Free to attend, but registration required!